Thursday, May 19, 2011

Choice Novel

The Color of My Words by Lynn Joseph

Reader: I enjoyed this book. It was very culturally informative and the author did a great job of describing the Dominican Republic as if I were there. This is very important to me as a reader. I felt that it was a slow read in the first half of the book. I wasn't really sure where the author was going with the story. The chapters seemed to be small stories with little relevance to each other. I felt the book picked up speed and interested when Angel was entered the story.

Teacher: I would use the in a Lit Circle, paired with other books that have an emphasis on culture. I feel that this book is best suited for 4th-6th graders. This book would also be a great tool to use when discussing the Dominican Republic in Social Studies.When discussing freedom of speech and human rights in Social Studies, it would be interesting to read this book as a class in Language Arts and refer back to this. This could create class discussion which could lead into group projects or other creative works.

No comments:

Post a Comment