Sunday, May 29, 2011

The Misfits

The Misfits by James Howe
2001

Reader: As a reader, I semi-enjoyed this book. It wasn't the best read. I found it very predictable and a bit cliche. As I was reading it I was waiting for a "wow" or some sort of twist, but that never happened. Overall, it wasn't bad. There were some truth behind the stereotypes in this book. I feel that most high school students could relate to at least one of the characters, whether it is one of the misfits or another character. It was a very quick read and I think it is really relatable for all students.
Teacher: I am torn on the idea of whether to use it in my classroom. Yes, its relatable but it may be too stereotypical. It also deals with homosexuality which can be an big issue with some parents. Overall, I think its safe not to use it in a classroom. I don't feel that this book offers any GREAT epic moment that all students need to read about. Therefore, I would use my time and resources as a teacher to choose another book that was really worthwhile that I wasn't "on the fence" about. I just don't think the controversy and the headache is worth it in this case, the book doesn't offer much to fight for.

No comments:

Post a Comment